9.20.2010

Hey, Down Here!

Taken at Viking Village Foods, Reedsburg, Wisconsin, during the annual Reedikulus Day celebration. Published in the Reedsburg Independent, August 2008.

There are so many things I love about this picture. These kids were waiting for a plane to "drop" buckets of bouncy balls (really they're thrown off the roof of the store as the plan flies by). After the kids scramble to catch them, the balls are traded in for toys. It's Reedsburg's infamous ball drop, and I was a part of it as a kid, as hundreds of kids before me and hundreds of kids since.

Needless to say, there is a frenetic energy at every ball drop, with kids frantic, looking for the plane and waiting for the balls and at the same time not exactly sure what to do. This picture captures them perfectly, almost in a slow motion freeze frame, right before the plane swoops over. And my favorite part is the little girl in pink in the lower right hand corner of the photo.

This photo was put on the front page of the Indy, the first time I ever put the paper together by myself while the editor was on vacation.

1 comment: