9.28.2010

Peony

From my parents' garden this summer.

Sometimes I feel like taking macro shots of flowers is like shooting fish in a barrel. It's almost way too easy to capture something that looks gorgeous, like it could be on a calendar or something. But I'd like to think I can take some of the credit.

I love the sharp, random edges of the petals in the foreground, how the focus slowly fades as your eye travels to the upper left of the photo. And the stark white on the all black background. Not sure how I achieved that. :)

My parents and their neighbor have always had random peonies growing in their yards  Someone must have planted them there a long time ago and they come back year after year on their own because they don't hardly do anything to encourage them. They're in all different colors - this white, light pink, dark pink. And they're usually horribly covered in ants. I took a chance this summer and shook them out as best as I could before bringing a few dozen back to Madison. They smelled gorgeous.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment