9.12.2010

In Order to Maintain the Integrity of the Berlin Wall

Taken at the Newseum, Washington D.C.

I, as a rule, hate museums. Doesn't really matter what kind of museum - art museum, history museum, spy museum, science museum, you see the pattern. It's just a building that houses stuff, and you go there to look at the stuff. I disagree with this concept, and I also have a very short attention span, so generally, I don't like museums because it's hard for me, philosophically speaking, to appreciate all of this stuff.

However, I loved the Newseum, and not just for its catchy name. I mean, how can you not love a museum that has the First Amendment printed six stories tall on the outside? The First Amendment worshiping is repeated throughout the building.

Anyway, journalism is something I fell into. I never intended to be a reporter, to work for a newspaper. And here I am, two and a half years later. Until the Newseum, I'd always seen it as a job, a digestion and regurgitation of facts.

At the Newseum, I felt a kinship with journalism, and the significance of what I had considered a routine job finally dawned on me while I was there. Everything about it started to have meaning after that; I felt connected to history, and I felt the true responsibility and gravity of what it means to be a journalist.

Anyway, I took the above picture when we first got there. I thought the signage was pretty funny.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment