9.24.2010

Looking Down

Fiona looks down from the top of her cat scratcher. Inspired by another picture I took of Tabby, Em's cat.

I didn't start off knowing what I was doing taking pet pictures, and I still don't. But I've learned a few things shooting various cats - my own, Emily's, the MadCats. Lesson one - cats (and pets in general) always look better in natural light, hands down. No flash, no worries about weird looking fur or glowing eyes.

Lesson two - always take photos at eye level. Well, almost always. This pose of Fiona's was too good to resist. It's like the classic cat pose - infinitely curious about humans yet always looking down on them.

My cats are not afraid of my camera anymore, nor the shutter noise it makes when snap snapping away. But I always forget that they are conditioned to that sound until I take pictures of other cats.  Dottie got used to it the other day, though it made her nervous at first. And sometimes they don't like a big lens shoved in their faces.

With every "photo shoot" I do, I learn more and more. Techniques, what works, what doesn't, and how to make my subjects more comfortable. But I hope I'm getting better.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment